Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thoughts on Kringle


Well, for my first post to The Kringlesphere, I thought I would share some thoughts on this wonderful epicurian delight.

When I first came to Racine, my in-laws were with us and had heard of the pastry. So they promptly went to the grocery store and bought some. Horror of horrors! The unforgivable sin! Apparently, as we were later told, "THAT is NOT Kringle!" Frankly, I wasn't impressed with it myself - I think it was "Racine Danish Kringle" brand.

Since then, I have grown fond of O&H. I know there are some Lehman's and Larson's fans out there, too. Then there's Bendtsen's too.

Now my wife, of Slovak descent, prefers her streudel. Not a big fan of kringle, there. But from my "mutt" lineage, I have no such stumbling blocks.

As for flavors, my favorites are Blueberry, Cheese and Apple. Not too keen on Raspberry. And due to allergies, I avoid the nut varieties of Almond and Turtle (though they both seem popular).

Kringle is dangerous in that it goes down so easy, and I can eat about a bushel of it without much thought. We serve it at most church events, especially funerals.

So what of it, Racine people? Do ya like it? If so from where? What flavors? Share with the Kringlesphere...

4 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger realdebate said...

An excellent first post.

I like o&h cherry cheese.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger The Badgerland Conservative said...

O & H Apple with the sugar topping. You can get it at the Douglas Avenue bakery and usually have to request it. But it is worth it.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger "Jet" said...

Living outside of Racine now, I take what I can get. I order some once a year and pay out of the nose to have it shipped here, but it's worth it. When I am in town I will pick up a few and freeze them when I get home.

Since not one single person in Ohio I have come across knows nothing about Kringle they are elated to taste pure bliss!

I like the pecan or cheesecake ones... Yummy!

Great post! I really enjoyed it!!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger realdebate said...

Good choice on the sigared apple Peter, that is the wife's favorite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home